Tune Up Your Marketing Engine With Analytics
Email marketing continues to be the most utilized channel for a majority of organizations. Whether, using a formal marketing automation tool (ability to send targeted emails via integration with your CRM database) or non-integrated platform, email marketing continues to reign as king (and has for over 20 years).
In order to grade your efforts, marketers must have visibility into the data behind Email Marketing. Make sure you know the answers to these questions:
- Who are you emailing?
- What do you know about them?
- Data integrity. Is your contact database up-to-date?
- Is your opt-in base growing?
- Are your emails targeted & personal?
- Are your open rates & click rates increasing?
- What do your best performing emails have in common?
- How many email conversions are required on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis to support your revenue targets? Are you hitting those targets?
Constant visibility to these answers and trends will allow email marketers to ensure their part of the machine is running at peak performance.
Every marketing executive I speak with shares a common pain: content. Content marketing can be an incredibly effective lead generation tool, but can also be incredibly difficult to execute. To effectively generate the right leads utilizing content, the content must be relevant to your target audience. Leveraging different types of content pieces such as whitepapers, blogs, videos, on-demand webinars, etc. will gain you the maximum exposure to your target audience. Content Marketing does not stop with merely creating content. Creation is just the beginning.
To insure your content strategy is delivering results, you need to constantly analyze the performance and consumption of each of the pieces.
- Which strategies perform the best organically?
- Monitor your latest client engagements and client wins. Which content pieces are common to those specific discussions/wins? What can you do to build-off those pieces?
- Which content pieces are not performing? Are they tagged appropriately?
- Do the low performing assets speak to specific pains of the audience? Do those pieces need to be refreshed? Refined?
By leveraging a Content Marketing analytics dashboard, content marketers can easily monitor and evaluate how each piece is performing and adjust in real-time.
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
Are you currently investing in a solid SEO strategy? When properly managed and analyzed, SEO can be a valuable cog in the marketing machine. Proper SEO of a website can be like the turboon a well-tunedengine. This can accelerate the lead generation efforts of any marketing department by amplifying its efforts. In turn, this amplification leads to higher ranking of your content pieces, website, and overall messaging & brand. Not only are you creating great content but it can easily and organically be found.
An SEO Analytics dashboard should answer these questions:
- What words/ phrases are you most using?
- More importantly, which words and phrases are your competitors using?
- What are your best performing website pages?
- Do you know your organic traffic from month to month?
- How many organic conversions are you getting from month to month?
- How many closed deals do you have from Organic Leads?
- How do your SEO results compare against top 3 competitors?
Your current marketing works, but with SEO integration, it works better. Turbo-powered.
With the right plan and execution, tradeshows can be a tremendous lead generation channel. Like the other channels, your tradeshow strategy must also be running at maximum efficiency for proper ROI. The #1 objective for tradeshow investment is lead generation. For maximum results, proper training and planning must occur well in advance of each event. Planning includes exhibit design, pre-show communications, at-show activities, and a well-educated staff.
After the show is finished how do you measure how well the show went? Was it worth your marketing dollars? By gathering the proper data, you can figure this out pretty quick:
- How many meetings did you pre-schedule?
- How many actually occurred?
- How many raw scans did you obtain?
- How many warm leads did you secure?
- How many opportunities were created:
- At the show
- After 30 days
- After 60 days?
- Was your actual cost on budget?
- How do your numbers compare? Projected Revenue vs. Actual Cost.
- What is the nurture plan for scanned leads?
- Annual event comparisons – Data from year to year is crucial to determine if the show is growing, stagnate or declining for lead generation. How do the events compare to prior years?
Pulling all the individual event data into an events Dashboard will quickly help validate the investment in shows and future ROI.
Investing in various marketing lead generation channels is critical for any organization. Email Marketing, Content Marketing, SEO, and Tradeshows represent four specific areas that most companies invest in, regardless of size or market. However, investment alone is not enough to guarantee success.
The most successful organizations are the ones that not only invest in these channels & efforts, but more importantly, leverage the data behind their efforts to understand the full story of what is happening or trending so they can easily improve the effectiveness of each channel. By constantly fine-tuning and maximizing the potential of each channel, your Marketing Engine will do what is it supposed to do: generate leads at maximum efficiency.